About CTP Insurance

Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance is paid at the same time as you pay your motor vehicle registration. Just as registration of your vehicle is compulsory, so is CTP insurance.

Importantly, CTP insurance provides compensation for death or bodily injury caused by, or arising out of, the use of a motor vehicle where the driver or owner of a South Australian registered vehicle is at fault.

Paying your CTP insurance premium protects you from potential liability if you cause injury or death to other road users.

Serious injuries can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in rehabilitation and medical fees, so it is important that you as a driver or owner are protected from having to personally pay these expenses.

The Scheme does not:

  • fully compensate persons who contribute to their injuries, for example, by not wearing a seatbelt;
  • compensate the injured driver who is entirely at fault; or
  • pay for damage to vehicles.

What does Third Party mean?

Third Party means you are protecting yourself from potentially being sued for damages if you cause injury or death to others (third parties). It also means drivers or passengers that are entirely at fault (ie the first party) are not eligible for compensation unless they are children under the age of 16.

What's the Difference between CTP Insurance and Third Party Property Insurance?

CTP Insurance covers personal injury whereas Third Party Property Insurance covers  property damage to vehicles.