How to make a CTP claim

If you were injured as a result of a crash, the first thing you should do is report it to the Police.

Approved Insurer

If you are unaware of who your Allocated CTP Insurer is, you can easily find out the insurer of your own or another vehicle by using the EzyReg services below and entering the vehicle registration number:

  • online at EzyReg - select the 'Check registration expiry date' option
  • by EzyReg smartphone app available for both iPhone and Android

Alternatively, please contact the CTP Regulator Enquiries Line on 1300 303 558.

Under the Motor Vehicles Act 1959, as part of your Injury Claim Form or Fatality Claim Form, the forms include authorisation for the insurer to obtain documentary information relevant to your claim.

The Approved Insurer must provide you with a copy of any documents that they obtain within 21 days of receipt.

Timeframes also apply when making a CTP insurance claim. You must lodge an Injury Claim Form (or Fatality Claim Form in the event that your claim relates to the death of a person in a motor vehicle accident):

  • As soon as reasonably practicable if the motor vehicle that caused the crash is unknown or uninsured.
  • Within six months of the motor vehicle accident in any other circumstance.

If you have not complied with these timeframes please contact your Approved Insurer to discuss your circumstances.

If you have not received these forms already, they are available here or you can have them posted to you by phoning the CTP Regulator Enquiries Line on 1300 303 558.

Once you have lodged a claim form with the CTP Regulator or Approved Insurer, a claims consultant from the Approved Insurer who will be managing the claim will  make contact with you to talk about your claim and ask you for any more information that may be needed.

What information am I required to give as part of the CTP Insurance claim process?

The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for the insurer handling your claim to process.

As a starting point, you are required to complete an Injury Claim Form or Fatality Claim Form.

Required information

Some of the information the Injury Claim Form and the Fatality Claim Form will ask you to provide includes:

  • Proof of identity.
  • The facts of the accident.
  • Details of the vehicles you think caused the accident.
  • The time and place at which it occurred.
  • The circumstances of the accident.
  • The name, date of birth and address of the driver of the motor vehicle at the time of the accident.
  • The name and address of any person killed or injured in the accident, if known.
  • The details of any witnesses of the accident, if known.
  • A medical certificate or opinion as to the nature and probable cause of your injuries.
  • The relevant police report number for any report provided to a police officer in connection with the accident.
  • Evidence of income and/or copies of treatment accounts, if relevant.

Note: If you are the owner, person in charge or the driver of a motor vehicle involved in an accident, the law requires you to co-operate fully with your Approved Insurer in providing the information required to process any claim. Penalties apply if this is not done (Section 124 of the Motor Vehicles Act 1959).

Unknown or uninsured vehicle

If the motor vehicle involved in the accident is unknown or uninsured for CTP Insurance purposes, you may have a claim against the Nominal Defendant Scheme. There are certain criteria that must be met to qualify, so please contact the Regulator for more information.