Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance is governed by South Australian legislation in the following Acts of State Parliament: the Motor Vehicles Act 1959, the Civil Liability Act 1936 and the Compulsory Third Party Insurance Regulation Act 2016.

Importantly, CTP insurance provides compensation for death or bodily injury caused by, or arising out of, the use of a motor vehicle where the driver or owner of a South Australian registered vehicle is at fault.

Paying your CTP insurance premium protects you from potential liability if you cause injury or death to other road users.

Serious injuries can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in rehabilitation and medical fees, so it is important that you as a driver or owner are protected from having to personally pay these expenses.

CTP insurance does not:

  • fully compensate persons who contribute to their injuries, for example, by not wearing a seatbelt;
  • compensate the injured driver who is entirely at fault; or
  • pay for damage to vehicles.

What does Third Party mean?

Third Party means you are protecting yourself from potentially being sued for damages if you cause injury or death to others (third parties). It also means drivers or passengers who are entirely at fault (ie the first party) are not eligible for compensation unless they are children under the age of 16.

What's the Difference between CTP Insurance and Third Party Property Insurance?

CTP Insurance covers personal injury whereas Third Party Property Insurance covers for property damage (ie vehicles).


If you drive a vehicle that is unregistered and/or uninsured you run the risk of incurring penalties.

Penalties as at 1 November 2017

OffenceExpiation Fee (excl. Victims of Crime Levy)Maximum Court Penalty
Unregistered                                             $366                           $7,500
Uninsured (CTP)                                             $677                         $10,000

What if the driver of the at-fault vehicle has their vehicle registered in another state?

If the at-fault vehicle is registered in another State, you are unable to make a claim against the South Australian CTP Scheme. In that case, contact the relevant state CTP authority in the state of the at-fault driver's registration to find out what you need to know.

The contact details for interstate authorities are located here.