We've developed the answers to some Frequently Asked Questions which may also be of assistance to you.

I have received uninvited contact regarding a motor vehicle accident. What should I do?

Please be wary of uninvited contact relating to potential motor vehicle accident claims. You may or may not have been involved in a motor vehicle accident. They may offer to refer you to a claims, compensation, government or legal service. This contact may be deceptive or misleading about your eligibility to make a claim or your eligibility for compensation. We strongly encourage anyone receiving such contact to protect their personal information. Do not complete any forms that are sent to you without verifying the source.

Should you receive contact of this nature, attempt to identify the source by asking for:

  • their organisation;
  • their name;
  • their phone number to call them back; and
  • their website and email address.

Do not provide them with your personal information.

If you receive uninvited contact please contact us, the CTP Regulator, on:
Phone: 1300 303 558 or
Email: ctp@sa.gov.au

What if I’m responsible for an accident where someone is injured?

If you are at fault in an accident where someone else was injured and you have paid your CTP premium (via your registration) you will be covered by the CTP insurance scheme if the injured person lodges a CTP claim seeking compensation for their injuries (subject to rights of recovery for any breach of policy).

If you were the owner, person responsible for, or driver of a motor vehicle involved in an accident where another person has been injured, you will need to report it to the police and you will be asked to complete an Accident Report Form and submit it to the Approved Insurer of the motor vehicle. Accident Report Forms are available online or by contacting the CTP Regulator Enquiries Line on 1300 303 558.

What am I not covered for?

You should be aware that the CTP Insurance scheme may recover any compensation paid to the injured person from you if you have breached the CTP insurance policy.

Breaches include:

  • driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
  • driving dangerously;
  • intentionally causing injury;
  • driving a vehicle without the owner’s permission;
  • driving without holding a current driver’s licence;
  • driving an unroadworthy or overloaded vehicle;
  • committing an offence against Section 43 of the Road Traffic Act (hit and run).

The Policy of Compulsory Third Party Insurance is outlined in Schedule 4 of the Motor Vehicles Act 1959. Section 124A of the Motor Vehicles Act 1959 gives the insurer the right to seek recovery of any injury compensation and claims management costs against an insured person who has failed to comply with a term of the Policy of Insurance.

Overall, if an insured person is found to be in breach of the Policy of Insurance, and their conduct has caused an injury, an Approved Insurer can pursue the insured driver and depending on the circumstances, recover any costs which have been incurred in relation to the injury claims arising out of that accident.

How are premiums set?

The Regulator is responsible for determining Compulsory Third Party premiums under the Compulsory Third Party Insurance Regulation Act 2016 (CTPIR Act). During the Scheme transition period from 1 July 2016 through to 30 June 2019 and in line with contractual obligations with the Approved Insurers, CTP Insurance premiums are set to increase during this period by 3% per annum.

Will premiums increase?

Premium prices will remain fixed for the first three years from 1 July 2016 with increases of three per cent each year to ensure a smooth transition for both insurers and motorists.

What if I am uninsured?

In South Australia it is an offence to drive a vehicle which does not have CTP insurance. A maximum penalty of $10,000 applies (Section 102 of the Motor Vehicles Act 1959).

In addition, if you are at fault in an accident that causes injury to another person and you do not have CTP insurance, you may be liable to reimburse the relevant Approved Insurer for the costs that have been incurred in relation to the injury claims arising out of the accident.

You will also be subject to equivalent rights of recovery (under Section 116 of the Motor Vehicles Act 1959) as discussed above in respect of an insured driver if you:

  • drove while under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
  • drove dangerously;
  • intentionally caused injury;
  • committed a hit and run offence under section 43 of the Road Traffic Act 1961;
  • drove without holding a current drivers licence; and
  • drove an unroadworthy or overloaded vehicle.
What if the at-fault vehicle is uninsured or unidentified?

Claims where the at-fault vehicle is uninsured or unidentified are called Nominal Defendant claims. From 1 July 2016, the Regulator began allocating Nominal Defendant claims to Approved Insurers, and from 1 January 2017 assumed full responsibility for these claims from MAC as part of its functions in Part 4 of the Motor Vehicles Act 1959.

Who are the Approved Insurers?

There are four Approved Insurers which currently provide CTP Insurance to South Australian Motorists: SGIC, QBE, Allianz and AAMI. See here for further details on how to contact them.

How do I find out who my CTP insurer is?

You have automatically been allocated to one of the four Approved Insurers. There are a few ways you can find out which of the four is your Approved Insurer. To find out more see here.

What does the private CTP Insurance Scheme include?

The private, competitive Scheme includes:

  • a competitive Scheme from 1 July 2019 where motorists can choose their CTP Approved Insurer based on premiums and claimant satisfaction ratings;
  • a CTP Regulator who regulates the Scheme including Approved Insurers for the benefit of motorists; and
  • the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure continue to issue CTP insurance renewal notices, and provide premium collection services as part of the vehicle registration process.
I went to the doctor after my accident and they completed a "Notification of Motor Vehicle Injury" Form. Is that the same as lodging an injury claim form?

No. You will still need to fill in an Accident Report Form to report an accident, and an Injury Claim Form if you have been injured.

Have my legal rights changed?

No. There are no intended changes to the legal rights of motorists as a result of the competitive Scheme.

  • From 1 July 2016, MAC ceased its role as the sole provider of CTP vehicle insurance in South Australia.
  • Approved Insurers provide the same level of CTP insurance coverage for motorists.
Can I still insure with the Motor Accident Commission (MAC)?

No. From 1 July 2016 MAC ceased to provide CTP insurance to members of the South Australian motoring public.

What is the role of the Motor Accident Commission (MAC) following CTP privatisation?

MAC continues operating its non-commercial community programs, including sponsorship of road safety research and communications aimed at safer road user behaviour.

  • Road safety programs currently provided by MAC will continue to be provided by them.
  • The CTP Regulator has taken on the role of the Nominal Defendant.